Got a secret, can you keep it? Well, we’ve got 21 of them when it comes to Pretty Little Liars, which airs its season six spring finale tonight. The show has kept us guessing through six seasons of twists and turns—but we’ve uncovered just about every tidbit there is to know about the series. From surprising casting almosts to hidden horror references to the show’s random Beyonce connection (yes, you read that right), here are some mind-blowing facts that are certain to shock even the most diehard PLL fan.
1. That haunting theme song wasn’t written specifically for the show: Ashley Benson discovered it. Benson, a.k.a. Hanna, found the song and presented it to Marlene King, she revealed during the PLL: Five Years Forward special. Marlene King agreed it was perfect and the rest was history. (P.S.: The theme song is “Secret” by L.A.-based band The Pierces.)
2. Speaking of Hanna, Sasha Pieterse originally auditioned for that role. She was just 13 at the time and ended up being cast as Alison.
3. Lucy Hale—a.k.a. Aria—also auditioned to play Hanna.
4. And Shay Mitchell was almost Spencer. Mitchell, who plays Emily, originally auditioned for the role of Spencer, which ended up going to Troian Bellisario.
5. Janel Parrish (Mona) and Tammin Sursok (Jenna) also went up for the role of Spencer.
6. The Liars’ boyfriends could have been completely different, too. For one thing, Brant Doherty auditioned for the roles of Ezra Fitz and Toby Cavanaugh before being cast as Noel Kahn.
7. Also, Keegan Allen was almost one-time “A” suspect Wren Kingston. He was eventually cast as Toby.