The legendary Mewtwo has finally appeared in Pokémon GO. Here’s where you’ll find him, and how to catch him.
The king of the Generation 1 Pokémon has finally appear in Pokémon GO, and you’ll have a limited chance at catching him in the wild. He isn’t a random drop like other Pokémon — he’s legendary, so catching him requires a little more effort. Here’s how it works.
Like all Legendary Pokémon, Mewtwo is only available in Raid Battles, and for only a limited amount of time. Zapdos is no longer available, and Mewtwo takes that critter’s place in the legendary line-up. Like the legendary revealed during the ill-fated Pokémon GO Fest, Mewtwo began life as a legendary in the Pokémon GO Stadium event in Japan before releasing worldwide.
Mewtwo is an awesome addition to the Pokémon Go Pokedex, and he’s joined by other recently released legendaries — Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres and Lugia are all available in Raid Battles from August 14-31.
How To Catch Mewtwo
[UPDATE – 9/20]: The new Pokémon Go event has unleashed more Mewtwo EX Raid Battles around the globe. More players are reporting invitations to Exclusive Raids. While some reports say that EX Raid invitations can be sent from non-sponsored Gyms, Sponsored Gyms are your best bet. Starbucks and other locations are considered Sponsored Gyms — all sponsored gyms will feature a unique gym waypoint on your map. Be on the lookout!]
Mewtwo, the psychic legendary Pokémon at the top of the Generation 1 ‘dex, will only appear in Exclusive Raid Battles. These are similar to Raid Battles, but players must be invited to participate in an Exclusive Raid Battle. According to Niantic’s Pokémon GO blog, here’s how it works:
- Exclusive Raid Battles will periodically at Gyms around the world.
- Trainers must be invited to join an Exclusive Raid Battle.
- To receive an invitation, Trainers must have successfully completed a raid recently, by defeating the Raid Boss, at the Gym where the Exclusive Raid Battle will be taking place.
- The Exclusive Raid Battle invitation will include information on when the Exclusive Raid Battle will take place, giving trainers time to coordinate with friends.
- EX Raids invitations are more likely to be sent from Sponsored Gym locations. Starbucks and other chains are considered Sponsored Gyms. Check your map to see these locations near you.
Mewtwo is the first Pokémon that trainers will face in Exclusive Raid Battles. When you receive an invitation, you’ll see what Pokémon you’re about to fight. While it is possible to miss and fail to capture a Legendary Pokémon, EX Raids are becoming more common in-game and all over the world.